Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Joy and Wonder: Some Assembly Required

An image I saw the other day:

A sign in the snow, next to a top hat, scarf, carrot and two buttons, which said:

"Snowman for sale.  Some assembly required."
     
        I thought that was rather cute.  It reminded me of a little girl I saw as we drove down a rather busy street, earlier that day.  She couldn't have been more than 3 or so.

        I noticed how small she was, and yet she was standing next to a snowman that only came about to her waist.  From what I could see, it looked like a "real" snowman; just tiny, like she.  I was instantly rather impressed, as she had obviously done it herself: she was standing back, looking at it, like she was an artist considering whether The Masterpiece was complete.

        Finally, as we were nearly passed by and she was almost out of sight, I watched as she leaned over... and patted the little snowman on the head.  Clearly this was a good, little snowman, and she was pleased.  I was so touched, it kept me warm inside, long after we had arrived at our destination.

        You know, sometimes I have to wonder when it is - and why - we lose our sense of innocent wonder and amazement about the world?  What is it about this life that makes us lose that incredible view of things that allows us to see it all as full of magic?  And an even greater puzzlement to me: why is it some people, no matter their circumstances, never lose it?  Because even if you try to say it's because we all grow up and life's reality hits and wears away at us, 'til we lose our ability to see the glittering stardust that once followed behind our footsteps... there are always those who are able to maintain a sense of it, despite their situation.

        I think... you might just have to find another blog, if you want a satisfying, conclusive answer.  After all, I find it's much more interesting to pose questions here, and then let you try to figure out the answers, especially if I don't have them.  Hehe...  Actually, if I had the answer, maybe I'd still have pink and purple unicorns all over my bedroom and Kenny Loggins' "Return To Pooh Corner" playing in the background (even if he did come out with that a bit later than I was actually a child....  Ahem).  You might scoff... but wouldn't you think it might be nice to be able to embrace the universe with the joy and wonder that a child might?  Even if (and maybe especially if) you weren't the kind of child who actually looked at the world that way; surely it would be a welcome relief from the weight of the adult world, hmm?

        Do you think it's too late, for us adults?  Do you believe there is no way that adult, human beings can possibly reestablish the ability to feel this kind of wonder and joy?  Not just the chuckling amusement we sometimes face, nor even all the way to rolling on the floor, losing yourself in a joke that happened to catch you by surprise as you sat around with other laughing adults, sober or otherwise!  Because of course a child doesn't need chemical help to giggle, dance and dream.  I've a fair few nieces and nephews, and most of them can certainly demonstrate that feature, well enough!  Listening to them, no matter what they are doing, makes my own heart feel lighter and more full of wonder.

        Perhaps, then, the answer lies within us, and just maybe, if we are more aware of the questions, we'll be more aware of the answers.  This tends to be my observation about life, anyway.

Better day, my friends.





No comments: