Sunday, September 7, 2014

Oh, Pardon Me; My Mistake!

Happy Monday, everyone!
Here's to hoping that this week is the best yet, for all of us!

        This week's quote and question are a bit of a relief for me, after the deeply-reaching questions Christine has given, lately!  I know not everyone struggles the same way I do, nor with the same things, but I'm grateful this isn't one of my worst!

"More people would learn from their mistakes

if they weren't so busy denying them."

~ Harold J. Smith

What "mistake" have you been trying to bury, and how can you learn from it?

        This isn't a really huge issue for me, actually.  No, really!  Not because I never make mistakes (*snorts quietly*), but because I've learned to let go of the fear/pride/whatever that keeps me from letting myself be imperfect, openly.  That is, after all, the nature, idea, and foundation of the PB Project! 

        There are a lot of things I've done, that I wish I hadn't; however, depending on the philosophical, religious or cultural significance one puts on various things, they may or may not be seen as "mistakes", at all.  Since I try to generally keep that kind of spin out of the Project, I should admit to you: this time, I'm not really of one mind or another, with regard to what constitutes a "mistake", because in every example I can bring to mind, there are multiple ways to see it, and many seem valid.

        If you are learning something - let's say, a musical instrument - you surely must expect that you're not going to be First Chair in the symphony, the first time you pick it up!  You're going to make mistakes; that's all there is to it!  And the weird noises you make at first are all part of the learning process!  As time passes, the more you practice, the closer to flawless your performance will be!

        There is no shame in making mistakes of this nature, because we understand it is a learning process, and so the imperfections are expected.  We trust that in time, we'll improve, and things will come together, hopefully as intended!

        But what about other kinds of mistakes?  What about the one(s) your mind called up as soon as you started reading this?  The one(s) that you wish would just go away and leave you alone!  The one(s) you have played over and over in your mind, thinking, "If only...".

~ * First off: let's just face it - time isn't going to rewind, so let it go.
~ * Second: nothing can be changed in hindsight, so let it go. 
~ * Third: there is nothing you can do to make it not have happened, so let it go.
~ * Forth: you will accomplish nothing, if you are so focused on regret, shame etc., that you forget that life is still moving, and facing the other way is the best way to keep from making other mistakes, so turn around, and let it go.
~ * Fifth: you are not valued through your mistakes, you're valued by what you make of them, so let it go.
        And of course, I am not the best example of such things, but I do try.  In fact, I have gone so far as to find people against whom I have harbored guilt for years, apologized for offense or hurt that my choices/actions might have caused...and usually, the people are so surprised, we end up talking about ol' times like we are friends, after all!  This isn't always the case...but at least those little pieces of guilt are set free, and I can go on to create new and improved methods of guilt! - er, um... right.

        My answer might be a bit wishy-washy, ambivalent and vague, but I suppose...it's my post and I can be vague if I want to!  I guess I just don't have a straight answer for it.  Perhaps someone can be positively effected by something I've said.  If not...no major harm done. :)

        Better days ahead, my friends!

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly


No comments: