Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanks, but It's Complicated

Okay, here's how my mind works...it's wordy, and it's honest!

        We've been discussing gratitude for what, 2 months now, on the PB Facebook Community Page?  And we've been doing it in random bursts, all year long!  So what happens today?

        Well, in the United States, as you all must know if you are on the internet (yeah, yeah...I know...and I'm sure you can't guess where I live ;) ), there happens to be a culmination of sorts, in a tradition of celebrating gratitude and thanks.  With all its quirks, and all its chaos, it is what it is, and many have the topic on their minds at the moment.

HOWEVER...

        I am *not* a follow-the-leader kind of person.  Never, really have been.  So as soon as a holiday comes 'round, I struggle because, for one thing, I've an attitude problem and am stubborn.  For another, I've a hard time with the idea of only being grateful, one or two days a year.  Plus, I know that there are SO many people who are struggling this time of year, and I understand how that can be...so I don't like to just shove *warm-fuzzies* at you and make you think nobody cares about that, if you are one of them.

        One of the reasons I've really wanted to have people focusing on random and sometimes crazy ways of looking at gratitude, is because if I know anything, it's that there is a way to get through the darkness, if you choose to be strong enough, and courageous enough.  There is a way to breathe again, when the wind gets knocked out of you.  There is a way to heal.

        And while I would never, flippantly say that if you just focus on all the good things in your life, the "good luck" and the "blessings", and the "miracles", and whatever else you call it, every, related cliche will burst into golden light and song, and rainbows will start shooting across the sky, etc....I do believe that there is value in trying to remember the things that actually do work right.

        The kitchen faucet that isn't leaking.  The garage door that is still working.  The computer that hasn't been hacked.  The car that doesn't make you push more than ride.  The cans of food that haven't gone bad.  The neighbors who leave you alone and keep to themselves.  The countless vehicles that don't hit you.  The coat that helps keep the cold out, at all.  The smile that the person gave you as they passed on the street.  The fact that you can breathe.

~ breathe ~

        The PB Project was never about the silly, shiny things.  We can be silly, and there's nothing wrong with shiny things, most of the time (ask the fans of Firefly - sorry, couldn't help it ;) ).  But the entire, fundamental premise has always been that the people who come here, know that they are not alone in whatever it is they face.  We are not alone, because we walk the path, together.  We're nearly all strangers, in that for the most part, we've never met.  And yet, EVERY, SINGLE DAY I see people reaching out to each other, showing love and concern for people they've never met!  We are strangers, as friends!  And I love you all.

And for that, I truly am grateful.

        Better days ahead, my friends!

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly



1 comment:

The Phoenix and The Butterfly said...

Authors note:

I started composing this post to be just a post on the Facebook page, and then realized that it was getting wordy to the point of silliness, in terms of a simple, FB post! So I transferred it here. That's why it seems a bit lopsided in that direction. I wanted those of you who don't connect through the FB page, to know that I know you're there, and I love you, too! <3