Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Never Make It Late to Your Own Future!

        I have to admit I've been chuckling, trying to decide how to carry the rest of my personal challenge of answering the "Motivational Mondays" posts out, for this year...and clearly I didn't plan it out, ahead of time!  But that's okay!  Because you know what?  Life is messy, and it's beautiful that way, so I'm going to pretend that totally carries over, here.  Especially since last week, I was beginning a pre-Christmas post on Christmas night, and I'm now beginning this one shortly before New Year's Eve begins! \o/ (Yes, I do these before Sunday at midnight, folks!)

        I've decided to go ahead and give sweet Christine's book the finishing it deserves, because it's not the book's fault!  But I will be sticking a couple here, a couple there, just for the sake of sanity...and speaking of sanity, my "balance coach" will be very proud of me, that I'm not terribly fussed about the fact I'm not wrapping this up in a tidy, little bow!  Readers who will be...my apologies.  If I could have snuck into a time machine and started the book sooner, I would have, just for you.  Unfortunately, life is messy.  Did I mention that?

        Week 49 is about, ironically, tying up loose ends.  Since this won't be published til long after New Year's Day has passed, having survived the ending of 2014 and been sent careening into 2015, this one is a bit amusing.  Week 50 is about looking toward the future, which of course is a great habit that many have for the ends of years, and now we can look toward the future, fashionably late!  Never make it late to your own future!  (The thinks that fall out of my head!  I tell ya....)


                  "Faith is taking the first step                                           "Life is what we make it.
      even when you don't see the whole staircase."                      Always has been, always will be."

                  ~ Martin Luther King Jr                                                    ~ Grandma Moses

             Are there any steps you can take                                 What do you want your life to be?
                 before the end of the year?

        In reality, these ideas are very similar, and fit together well.  I suppose my first step could be to flippantly answer that one of the steps I can take before the end of the year is to finish this post!  Fair enough.  I know that many people try to get their lives situated so that when the new year comes, they have had the opportunity to let go of some things, ready to embrace new ones!  The idea of clearing out the old and making way for the new is an idea that many tend to feel is a beautiful one, and one to embrace into reality.

        There are people who spend quite, some time planning out what they want to change when January comes around, with every intention of jumping in and losing that weight, achieving that triathlon, getting that job, and making all those changes that they've been putting off for their New Year's resolutions, all year!  I've more than one friend who has detailed plans, though the extents of their plans vary, as do the level of detail!  I think many people spend a lot of time planning what they're going to do when the calendar turns over...and then are all worn out when it comes to the beginning!

        So what steps can I take, now, to begin figuring out not only what I want my life to be, but how to get there?  That super combo question is a decent one (even if I do say so myself).  I suppose I have to start by trying to figure out what I want my life to look like, and then to figure out what it might take to get it there.  At that point, I'd need to draw out my plan and after that...get started!

Sounds simple enough, right?
So easy, millions of people do it, every year!

Well, they do!

       To be honest with you, I don't know that I can answer this with a personal perspective, at the moment.  Because my physical health is in a state of flux, and doesn't seem to be in a direction of improvement (much of it is, after all, degenerative), my mental health is just trying to balance the grief of loss...of the health, strength and endurance, plus that of futures I thought I could have, but won't.  My mind naturally tries to work around obstacles to find solutions, but this time of year is a difficult time for me to try to logically and pragmatically delineate things into a sort of plan of action.  Maybe later in the new year I'll be able to begin again?  That's the best I can do, for now.

        In the meantime, some of my biggest steps toward the successes I accomplish, at least in terms of things like this, the PB Project, is touching some aspect of it, every day.  Maybe I'll add a paragraph to the next blog post.  Perhaps it's working on the background to the next poster.  I might search for some articles to share on the PB Facebook Community Page.  Or capture some notes into a notebook toward a future extension that may or may not be workable.  Either way, doing something that helps stretch beyond the current moment and pull things into the next, is a step toward a better future.

        What do I want my life to be, though?  Is "happy" a decent enough answer?  I'd like to be able to make a solid contribution to the world, and feel like I've overcome enough of myself that the life I have left is hopeful and full of promise of better things.  I would love to be involved in the lives of those whom I love, in positive ways that demonstrate the best I have to give.  I'd like to find ways to help me battle my illnesses with enough grace that I can do all these other things, without feeling like "it's just too much", so much!

        But mostly, if at the end of it, I can look back and see that I was able to find the way to enjoy happiness much more often than experiencing the darker shades of life...I'd say that would be a fair enough accomplishment...because it would mean that I'd accomplished all the rest of it, too.

        This weird-ish answer has been kinda meandering its way through my mind, and I'm not even sure it made sense.  So hopefully the intent has been clear, even if the delivery feels a bit mixed.  Either way... I hope the best of hope for all my friends and whanau, here and elsewhere, and my love extends to each of you.  And of course I hope for...

        Better days ahead, my friends!

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly




No comments: