Monday, March 2, 2015

Not Just Carpe Diem ... Memento Vivere

I'm taking a bit of a different tack on this one, than I had previously decided.  
We'll see how that turns out.

        I had been hoping that I could choose a question for myself, and be able to go into the answer.  However, I have realized that despite my best efforts, this is not the best way to broach this matter, so I'm going to demonstrate how those goals we start in the beginning of things (such as a new year) can be modified and developed into new things, as we realize that the original idea was not the best course of action.  Personally, I think that not only qualifies as a move toward attaining the goal, but it's one step better: those goals are usually set to help us become better at something - and in this case, it has served its purpose admirably.  It has taught me something about myself and steered me toward a direction that I think will be more effective for my future.

        In other words:

Not attaining the goal verbatim is not failure; 
learning that higher goals are attainable 
through learning the flaws of the original goal is success.

Yay!  I succeeded, sorta! *\o/*

        So... I'm modifying my approach to be more selective of the process and experiences I'm having at the time.  In this case, I've been thinking about a lot of things, so I needed to wheedle into something more concise (and readable).  In the spirit of last year's approach, I found a quote that spoke to my being, and I'm choosing to run with it.

Look at everything always as though 
you were seeing it either for the first or last time: 
Thus is your time on earth filled with glory.

~ Betty Smith, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

        This quote moves me more, every time I read it.  It also perplexes me, because there are a number of facets to it, and I think they are worth breaking down and divining out.  I've actually tried to write this post a number of times, now, and find that what I end up saying is not what I need to publish, so bear with me and maybe this one will be the one!

        What does it mean to see something as though it was the first or last time you've seen it?  When we see something for the first time, often it is as a child, full of wonder and full of delight!  Every color, object, sound, taste, scent... everything we witness is a new and amazing sensation!  We learn to laugh and play and celebrate.  As we get older, and our ability to process our situations becomes deeper, something like a beautiful vista or piece of music can fill us with breathless wonder.  Our first encounter with major emotions can be the very most powerful: think of your first crush or loving relationship, for example... or the first heartache.  Our first interaction with something can be the most incredible, as our minds strive to capture it as a brilliant set of memories to recall later, or in dreams.

        And the last time?  If we found out that we would only be able to experience life for a specific and limited period of time left, how would that change the way we see everything in our lives?  How many songs are written about seizing the moment, and celebrating every, single memory as though it was the last?  How many poems, stories, books, shows, movies... how often do we get reminders of how fragile this life is, and how often do we take a moment to truly grasp that fact?

Life is beautiful, when seen from a perspective of beauty...
...wonderful from a perspective of wonder...
...awesome from a perspective of awe...

...and we choose our perspective.


        What would life be like, if we were to approach it with the eyes of one seeing it for the first or last time?

How much more mindful would we be in what we do?
How much more passionately would we celebrate?  
How much more deeply would we love?  
How much more fervently would we embrace our form of faith?   
How much more dedicated would we be to leave an impression on this world's history that would be exactly the way we would like it to be, to those with whom we feel it's important to share it?
        Would you wait to tell those you love, admire and respect that you feel that way?  Would you treat others with more respect, and be less harsh or even abusive?  Would you sincerely apologize when you've been wrong or hurtful?  Would you care about the state in which you leave this world?  Would it matter that you didn't get that boat, achievement, job, or even revenge?  Where would you focus your energy and dedication?  What would you want to learn or experience, during your last moments on earth?

        Can you imagine how much more amazing it could be, if we flung our fears aside and really decided to live, and not just meander through life, gray and meaningless?  If we didn't take things for granted, but truly made every, single bite of life count for something?  Each sunrise and sunset would be the most priceless treasure, and each smile and tear the most precious gift!  Would that not be a "time on earth filled with glory"?

Why is it we don't live this way?

        So there's your thought to enter your week.  Maybe look around and try to see things through the eyes of one who is not living the same-ol'-routine?  Perhaps if we try to live with more purpose and meaning, we won't feel so worthless and our lives so hopeless.  I can't promise that, but could living as though we actually mean it, be such a bad thing?  The world needs more positive energy, and we are each worth not just having it, but radiating it!  I think that would certainly be a good way to work toward...

        Better days ahead, my friends!

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly




No comments: