Sunday, March 22, 2015

Silence that Voice, and Get Busy!

Today's message brought to you by PB,
Vincent Van Gogh,
the internet,
electricity,
a bunch of other people,
and your ability to read.

Thank a teacher.


        Did you know that Van Gogh had an attitude?  I kinda like that about him.  Check out this quote:

If you hear a voice within you say “you cannot paint,” 
then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

~ Vincent Van Gogh

        Kinda logical, isn't it?  And yet, it also made me laugh when I read it, because it's a truth that we often overlook when we have fears, doubts and feelings of unworthiness related to our abilities.  "Oh, I wish I could ___, but I just can't."  Ever say that?

        I've heard the idea, repeatedly:
If you want to be a writer, write.
If you want to be an artist, do art.
If you want to be a singer, sing.
If you want to be a dancer, dance.
        The list goes on, but you get the idea.  You don't have to be perfect at it, but you can't be anything at it at all until you actually put some kind of effort toward it.  Chances are, you're not nearly as "bad" at it as you think you are, because usually people by a certain age have a tendency to see themselves as less "good" than we actually are.  Kinda sad that we're taught to believe that way about ourselves, isn't it?

        The PB Project has been one of the most challenging/nerve-wracking/exciting/uplifting/all kinds of other -ings that I've ever experienced.  I've explained its beginnings a number of times, and it has yet to be anything but one of the most amazing things I've done in my life.  I grew up on small stages, performing in various music opportunities, acting, speaking, and in other types/areas, and sometimes in front of relatively large audiences.  But never have I given so much time, energy and love to such a wide audience as this, and never with so much of myself, as I have, here!

        Almost every day for nearly two years, I have spent at least an hour, often more, working toward some facet of the Project.  Since it is strictly a volunteer endeavor, I'm not sure if that qualifies as a hobby, or just what, but it has been the most reciprocating thing I've created, to date.  Any love I have given to it, has been returned manifold, and the "strangers, as friends," I've come to recognize popping up in name, here and there, through participation in comments, messages and such, do feel like friends, even though we've never met and probably won't, in person.  At this point there are 2900+ people following via the PB Facebook Community Page, and of course that does not include all those who have come and gone, nor those who follow the blog silently through the email sign-up, whose numbers I have no idea, as I don't have access to any of that information.  That is a rather large amount of people to be so lovingly involved in a personal hobby of mine!

        I'm explaining this, because it is the most adequate example I have for illustrating this quote in my own experience.  I never would have believed it was going to be possible for me to create something like this!  Even if my self-confidence had been willing to assume that so many people would value this effort, my intention was never to have a large "following", but more to be able to uplift and inspire any who happened to come along.  I don't know what someone would call me, as the creator and primary admin of this project, with regard to those who follow and participate in it, but whatever I'd be called, I never would have dreamed that I'd be wearing that label, two years ago!

If you want to be it, do it.
If you want to do it, then do it.

        As I continue to grow up (do we ever, really stop?), I realize that so many parts of our experience are related to our believing that being able to do it is possible.  And though we may see the "You can do it!" messages all over the place, internalizing those messages and making them come to fruition can a huge leap!  But how worth it, might it be, if we would only tell ourselves that we can do it?  And then again, and again, and again... because even if we believe it enough to take the first step, there are many, other steps to take before we are able to fully realize those dreams of ours!

        My friends, I believe in us.  I believe it, because I have been watching myself do it, and so I have every reason to believe that it is possible... whatever it is that we dream of accomplishing.  It takes a very dedicated effort, but we need not do it alone, and it doesn't have to take over our lives... it just takes taking those steps, even if they are small, and even if they don't feel like they really contribute that much.  If you want to be anything, then do what it takes to claim that title, and those voices who tell you it can't be done, will face the fact that not only can it be done, but it can be done with joy and  accomplishment!

        Better days ahead, my friends!

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly



©The Phoenix and The Butterfly


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sing it! Let's just keep going for it, and never let fear, or worry, or shame - none of it can hold us back unless we let it. :)

The Phoenix and The Butterfly said...

Absolutely! Some days going for it has to mean taking smaller steps than we'd like, but yeah, with each one taken, that is one more accomplishment to add to the tally! It's a good thing there are others around to cheer us on and help us out, isn't it? :) <3