Monday, April 6, 2015

Improve the World... in a Single Moment


If you could do something that would improve the world, right now, would you do it?

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment 
before starting to improve the world. 
~ Anne Frank

        I so love this!  So many people talk about how this world is this cliche, or that metaphor, and in truth, the reason it is - if it truly is - happens to be because too many people are spewing negative energy, and too few are doing something about it!

        Picture this:

        Grocery store.  Grumpy-looking guy plows into your cart, says "Watch it," and goes on his way, practically knocking you over.
Is your reaction: "What a jerk! People are so rude!  Why do they think they are the only person in the universe, or at least the most important?!"
Or is it more like: "Wow, he seems to be in a hurry!  I wonder what has him looking as though he's got such a negative mindset?  Hmm... I wonder if there is some way I could help him?"
        Yeah, I know, you've never been guilty of the former, hmm?  Neither have I.  Nope, not a single thought of "road rage" has ever crossed the threshold of my mind.  Nada.  Not even an iota of judgment nor negativity has ever spent time floating around in the continual *warm-fuzzies* of my emotional mindset!

Uh huh.
Right.
Good thing I'm sitting here,
a perfect example,
"preachin' to the choir"!
;)

        Okay, so we're not perfect. The good news, is that we don't have to be perfect, to make a positive impact on the world! We can begin to help improve the world, just the way we are, here in this moment, right now! All our quirky, little pieces don't have to be all lined up and working smoothly to be capable of doing something good, and that is actually a really good thing, because if we had to wait for that, nothing good would ever get done!

        "So, PB," you say, "how could I possibly have anything to offer, in terms of improving the world?"  

        Well, my friends, that is one of the most beautiful parts of this life: figuring that out! But before you give me the look of one who thinks I'm being evasive, think a moment... there is always something, *if* we will look around and see it.

        Take Mr. Grumpy Face, for instance: we could of course become a jerk and say or do something to get him more riled up... or we could do something kind... but what? Sometimes I have found that a gentle nudge out of their direct focus can sometimes help. For instance, instead of responding to him in a negative, grumpy-ish way, we could say something unexpected, but positive!
"Watch it!" says he.
"Thank you!" say you. 
        Even if you don't see any response from him as he blazes by, there is at least a small part of his mind now dedicated to figuring out what just happened. Which means, there is at least a small part of him not focused on whatever has made him Mr. Grumpy Face, therefore turning him more toward Mr. Puzzled Face, pondering an inadvertently positive interaction - which is an improvement, is it not?

        Have you ever smiled at a stranger, and seen a look of surprise flicker across their face? I remember a time when a smile was immediately met with a smile - and I'm not a hundred years old, either! These days, my smiles have received responses ranging from slight shock, to puzzlement, to a look I can only think to describe as concern regarding my intentions! Granted, there are smiles, too, but even they seem more like an expression of joy and relief that there are still others out there who smile, too!

What happened to us my friends?
What happened, that we are now so focused on our own,
little (usually electric) little bubbles,
that we don't register the light and love
that is there, around us? 

        I recently watched (and shared on the PB FB Community page), a video about a man who left the corporate world to open a little pizza shop... just because... and through serendipity's intervention, he now has a very successful pay-it-forward system going (now running into the thousands)! People have been paying a small donation, that then provides a fresh slice of pizza to the homeless who come in and take one of the postie notes stuck on the wall, to use as payment.

        Of course, I've seen similar things; there is the idea of buying a coffee and/or a cookie to pay forward, for example. Or over-paying at the grocery store and asking the checker to use the money toward the next person in line who seems to really need it (or a gift card for the same purpose). Even just getting the door for someone with a smile, or a random but sincere compliment, can plant a seed that could grow to make all the difference in someone's day.

        It probably isn't difficult to guess I'm one of *those* people... the kind that has no problem striking up a conversation with random strangers, ending up with us all laughing and brighter for the interaction. However, one of my favorite stories is how great it was to make a checker in a grocery store cry!

        As I watched her serving the person in front of us in line, I noticed her dark hair and makeup, accessories and general demeanor, and how it couldn't be more clear she was miserable, standing there scanning items. I tried to think of something to say that might break the monotony of her moment, in a nice way. Suddenly I realized that beneath all that makeup, there was a rather pretty girl with very lovely eyes. So I mentioned that I'd noticed, and at first she was shocked, then despite herself, she started to cry!

        "No one has ever said I was pretty, before."

        As we left, I looked back and she was standing straighter, and seemed a bit brighter as she helped the next in line. I've no idea if that, little interaction changed anything outside of that moment, for her, nor anyone else. My own heart felt brighter however, enough that I still remember it so clearly, and since then I've tried to make a point to have a positive interaction, in whatever it is I'm doing, even if it is simply smiling at a passerby.

        So what else could you/we do? Well, really, it's more about brainstorming, then choosing. I do believe I've covered some of these ideas before, but it is always nice to go over ideas like this again!

 Let's see...

  • Do you craft? Crochet? Knit? Do art? Cook? Bake? Sew? I'd imagine someone would love to be the beneficiary of your talents! Neighbors, friends, family... or reach wider, even - donate what you create, to something or someone who would benefit! There are all kinds of local, national and international opportunities for such things! 
  • Do you have extra seats in your car? Maybe create a car pool? Whether to work, school or other activities, binding with other humans in such a casual way can create friendships that benefit all sides! 
  • Are you good with kids? Perhaps offer to babysit (or do a babysitting exchange if you have kids), so that parents can get away and be adults, once in a while! This can work with pets, too, sometimes! 
  • Have some skills you're able to teach? I'd imagine there's a way, if you start asking around to see what the needs are, in the community. 
  • Not afraid to connect? Try volunteering, creating/assisting a charity drive, or help out where help is needed! 
        Honestly, folks, the ideas are endless. For example, it just so happens that in my own life, I'm a volunteer at a local hospital, once a week, as needed. I also crochet, so I asked around for donations of spare yarn, which I've been crocheting into baby afghans to give to the local women's shelter, since many women flee their homes with nothing, and might be able to use them. I've donated hats to our local cancer center, as well. I do those things in my "off" time, such as while I'm watching TV or waiting at an appointment, which allows me to also practice mindful relaxation, as well!

...In addition, I happen to have a little project I've been building daily for nearly two years, and sharing with a bit larger audience, of which you, reader, happen to be a part... which feeds my heart and soul as much as I feed energy into it. Thank you for that. 

        Am I perfect? Goodness, no! In fact, some of my greatest imperfections allow me to have the spare time on my hands to do these things, though most come in the moments in-between moments filled with other stuff. They just provide a way for me to feel like I can contribute to the light and love in the world, and maybe help balance against the shadows of it all.

 How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment 
before starting to improve the world. 

~ Anne Frank

         Yes, my friends, whether you have all the time in the world, or just the time it takes to make eye contact, you can contribute to a better world, simply through the little choices you make.  So... what are you going to make, next, to improve the world?  All together, we could transform it in an instant!

        Better days ahead, my friends!

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly




No comments: