Monday, June 29, 2015

Dancing, Every Moment of the Journey

        This week, I decided we needed to lighten things up a bit.  I've been going on about such heavy topics lately, and while they have their own merit, I do have the occasional, lighter moment, and so should you!  However, I never, really know what is going to fall out of my head, so we'll see when we get there.

Dance. Smile. Giggle. Marvel.
TRUST. HOPE. LOVE. WISH. BELIEVE.
Most of all, enjoy every moment of the journey,
and appreciate where you are at this moment
instead of always focusing on how far you have to go.

~ Mandy Hale

        When I saw this quote, it stood out to me.  This idea, at least the last part, has been something I've tried to maintain, despite all the ups and downs of this life I've lived.  To be frank, I don't really know that anyone is able to enjoy every single moment, but on the whole, it's good to respect the journey as much as possible, and not so much the destination.

        I've a friend whose attitude about life always inspires me.  I have known her for over a decade, and written with her many times, over the years, as she lives in a country on the other side of the planet, and thus we've never met.  But she is as much a sister to me as anyone could be.  In fact, she is the one who taught me the idea of "whanau".  And she is also one who has taught me the value of trying to keep a positive attitude.  When discussing how she's doing, she'll nearly every time say something to the effect of, "Life is hard. Good, but hard."

        First of all, I love this woman's honesty. But I also love that she also keeps a sense of reality in her gratitude.  I tend to dislike clichés, but her answers are beautifully real.  Sure, things could always be worse, but why focus on how bad they could be?  Why not embrace the good that there is, even while acknowledging that life really can be just that hard?  There is nothing shameful about struggling with what we have to handle!  And it really is true, that maintaining a sense of understanding that even though we are struggling, life really can be seen as good, simply by remembering the things that matter in positive ways.

        When we are in a dark place, emotionally, it can be very difficult to see any sign that there is anything good in life.  I've been there, and I know how black it can be for me, so I can only imagine how deeply the cold darkness can reach for anyone else.  I've learned not to judge anyone's experience, especially someone in that place.  I've learned not to shrug it off, nor suggest they do so, either.  And I've learned that sometimes the only way to the dawn is to make our way, moment to moment, through the murky depths. The best way I have found to help someone through that space, is to allow them to know that I am with them on their journey, even if I don't understand the exact situation they are facing.  Any situation is less painful when someone who cares, and doesn't judge our struggles, is willing to stick with us, even when we are in for a very long night...or two...or more.

        Anyway, yes, I still intend for this to be a more positive post!  But sometimes a few darker shades must exist to allow the lighter ones to have their due brilliance.  I really love those words...

Dance. Smile. Giggle. Marvel.
TRUST. HOPE. LOVE. WISH. BELIEVE.

        Don't these words just nudge your heart with little bits of light?  Granted, if you've been hurt, some will have better connotations than others, but...still!  They are things often ascribed to children, and for good reason!  We are born into this world hardwired for trust, hope, love, wishing and believing!  We view this big, beautiful world with wonder and curiosity.  We easily smile, giggle and dance, when given the means and opportunity to do so!  

        I've seen children in constant pain who have stood up on their hospital beds and danced, giggling with their nurses.  I've seen little ones with what we adults see as horrific disfigurements, look in the mirror with no recognition of the words they will be taught are their labels.  I've seen young ones gently lay their heads on a shoulder, pat a cheek, and/or whisper sweet words of comfort which were far, beyond the wisdom normally of one so young.  I've seen so many, wonderful things that children do, simply because that is part of what they were born to be.  What a wonderful opportunity, to be born this way!

        The great thing about being an adult, is that by the time we have reached this point, we are able to understand that life is not as simple as we may have thought in our naïve innocence, but still have the ability to choose how we will approach situations that are hard.  We have the ability to decide to see that life can be good, even while also being hard.  We have the ability to understand that they can be both things, at once. And, what's more, we have the ability of choice to decide how we handle those things about our lives that make them one way, or another.



Why are so many of us, as adults, so afraid of dancing, and giggling?

What is wrong with marveling in wonder,
at the vastness of all that this life includes?

The way things work,
and don't work;

the way science and progress teach us so many things about them?


The delight of seeing bubbles blowing on the wind?

The sound of that wind as it blows through the trees?

The way a seed can be planted and become a tree?

The way the rain seems to come from nowhere...

...to come down and make the trees grow from seeds...

...and on to growing their own seeds?

When was the last time you looked up and saw the rain...

        - or better yet, snow -

...as it floats down, seemingly like magic?

When was the last time you went out in it...
...and let yourself enjoy the feel of it on your face?

    Did you even know that adults can giggle?
                    Yes, even men!
And it is wonderful!            

        So, perhaps we can think of some things we can do to embrace our inner children - adults are, after all, just children who have been here long enough to have our bodies reach natural maturity.  We have typically been trained to ignore the parts within us which are not culturally-acceptable, but sometimes we give up things that are also full of joy.  

        What did you once love to do, that you can no longer do because you are "too old"?  Would you love to try to do it, again?  So, why not?  As long as it is fairly safe and healthy, with regard to ourselves and others, why do we cringe at the idea of going back to our light and joyful roots?  Why not try to have some good-natured fun?

        Who knows - you might even enjoy it! 

        Better days ahead, my friends!

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly
©The Phoenix and The Butterfly




No comments: