Sunday, July 5, 2015

Giving is Living, Sharing is Caring, and Loving is... Wonderful!

        I've been inspired to ponder the effects of an even more positive idea on which I've touched before, but can always be mentioned again!  Perhaps something new, different and worthwhile will fall out of my head, this time.

It's not enough to have lived. 
We should be determined to live for something.
May I suggest that it be creating joy for others, 
sharing what we have for the betterment of personkind
bringing hope to the lost and love to the lonely.

~ Leo Buscaglia

        I searched for this idea, actually.  I was searching Pinterest for ideas to share on not just the PB boards, but to share on the PB Facebook Community Page, as I've developed the habit of doing on extended insomnia nights, and I came across some articles of journal and blog post prompts which gave suggestions for topics and ideas to answer and elaborate.  I skimmed the lists, since it wasn't exactly what I wanted, but I saw one quick mention of thinking up ways for doing nice things to someone else.  My heart has nudged me quite a bit on this vein, and perhaps it's time to share a bit more.  I don't know how to do that without giving some background on me, personally, so I guess I'll start with that.

        I'm not sure if it was purely my nature to love and serve others, or if it was in greater part to being set up to do them by my environment.  There were many opportunities given me to serve in various ways, from preschool onward.  I do know that the circumstances of my growing up helped me interact with other people in ways that taught me that life is fluid, in terms of knowing and loving people.  They come and go, but that can be seen as either it is better to stay somewhat aloof, to protect yourself from the pain of loss; or it is better to give fully to the moment, because when that moment is past, one never knows what will be a memory - and better to have memories to treasure in their vibrant warmth!

        Actually, I admit I'm somewhere in between those two.  It's kind of funny, actually; I think I'm being open and honest with a friend, and then they tell me they always have a sense that I'm keeping part of myself in reserve.  I guess I need to work that part out!  But I don't think that is really what I meant by "giving fully to the moment".

When giving fully to the moment, we are very mindful of what is happening right now.
Meaning, how are we feeling and thinking about what we are seeing and doing?
How do we feel about the people around us, in our lives?
Do we love them?  Do we care?  Do they know it?
Would their lives be better in some way, if they did?
What can we do, right now, to brighten the world for one person?

        I think I can guarantee that you know someone who is having a very difficult time, that you can't see.  If you are in that place, you still know someone else, even if you cannot imagine that anyone else could possibly be struggling as you are.  We all wear our pain differently, and we've all learned to cope through the lessons our pasts have taught us.  We don't have to go digging into others' psyches to help them, though...we merely need to do something, right now, to show that they are not alone.  In doing so, we also reinforce to our own minds that *we* are not alone, either.  It can very easily feed us when we feed others, which then benefits all involved!

         There are plenty of posts I've done about ways to uplift and help others (for example), and so I'm not going to make another list, here.  I would love to have your ideas, though, and so, feel free to add them to the comments below*, or on the PB FB Community Page!  Here, though, I think it's just more important that we realize that this is something very dear to me, and that might be obvious given the entire foundation of the PB Project is to help people feel like they are not alone.

        The things I do and share, here and elsewhere in the Project, are things that I feel help unite and inform those who are looking for connection and understanding.  I may not know and understand the needs, experiences and feelings of over 3000, individual people, but you are here for a reason.  You are reading this for a reason.  Whatever that reason is, I hope you know that the intent here is for your comfort and knowing that there is someone out there who may be a stranger, but is also a friend.  I've noticed a number of people are supporting each other on the FB Page, in comments, and that has been wonderful!  There are many people coming together to be friends in a way that couldn't be done, otherwise!

        I'm not telling you these things because I'm on some high horse, about it.  This has not been an easy project for me to pursue, but it has been such an important thing for me to do, that it has kind of carried me forward, even when I haven't felt like I cared about carrying myself, much less anything else!  But you are important to me.  If anyone is benefited by it, then it was worth whatever I've put into it, and anything anyone else has done to contribute to it.

        Do you understand, that with those tapping of the keys, and clicks of the mouse, you have the capacity to help others feel that they are not alone?  You're already doing it.  But imagine what you could do elsewhere, on or offline!  You hold a lot more power in your hands, mind and heart than you think you do, my friends, no matter how much you think you do.  So...use it.  You don't have to pour the time and energy into it that I've put into this, but there are always little things you can do.  You can fulfill this quote with great beauty and grace, and claim a life that was worth living, because you chose to live for something greater.  Sounds like a pretty good life, to me.

        Better days ahead, my friends!

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly



(* Editor's update: Blogger is not really helpful to me regarding commenting on comments, here, and so I've had a number of comments to which I couldn't respond, and that really frustrates me!  So if you catch this post and it isn't pinned to the top of the PB Facebook Page, feel free to contact me through my profile at the bottom right of this page! ~ PB)



No comments: