Monday, October 26, 2015

Lovely Lamps, and Wondrous Windows!

        Keeping with our gratitude theme, though I'm a bit hesitant as we've reached the time of year in which many on the internet have "jumped on the bandwagon" regarding the topic, I saw a prompt asking my favorite, physical trait.  As an American, this is not typically an area I like to discuss, especially since time and illness have started making me feel a bit more self-conscious, even in my attitude of not caring so much what others think. 

        However, maybe doing this will be another good thing?  Let's find out, shall we?

        When I think about the physical attributes I find I am grateful to have, I could list a number of them, despite having most of them a bit dysfunctional.  At one point or another, however, they have all been able to provide some kind of appropriate function in their time and place, and for that I truly am grateful.  I am certainly not a big fan of Alfred Lord Tennyson's quote, “Tis better to have loved and lost / Than never to have loved at all," and that is definitely not my chosen quote for this week!  However, I must admit that in this case, I am grateful to have known the experiences I've had, despite the losses and griefs which have accompanied many of them, and the loss of them.

        One of these, I decided to use as my choice - or, rather, two of them, as they come as a set:  

These lovely lamps, these windows of the soul. 

~ Guillaume Du Bartas
(Divine Weekes and Workes, Sixth Day)

        You may be familiar with many of the commonly-used phrases, such as this, and so you might have already figured out which physical attribute I chose.  I like this quote by Du Bartas, because it reflects two features of the eyes which are distinct and different, but which act in somewhat similar ways.  

        These lovely lamps; this is a great description of how with even a simple glance, we can communicate a wealth of emotional "temperature" and information.  Ever receive an "icy" look?  Or maybe a "burning" one?  Perhaps you've seen the famous Mother's Look of Doom, usually when you're about to be in trouble, and often accompanied by her saying your entire name?  Our eyes can project so much of what we want to say, and what we don't want to say, too.  Which leads us to the other description.

        ...these windows of the soul.  What a charming way to describe another feature of our eyes!  When we look at someone, really look, there can be many details about what is going on, behind them!


Is there joy in that heart?
Is there the emptiness of depression?
Is there hope? 
Is there anger?
Is there love and compassion?

Will they even look at you?
Because really, we don't always want people to see
how we're feeling/what we're thinking.

        Sometimes a person can develop what many call a "Poker face", wherein they do their best to hide what they're thinking or feeling, perhaps like some draw curtains over their windows; some get really good at it, while others couldn't hide from view if their lives depended on it.  I can't say I'm exactly one, but I'm not exactly the other, either.  Ahem.

        In these ways, our eyes are very interesting in that they can both shine outward, and allow others to look into us.  This kind of communication is natural to us; babies often first learn to identify faces by looking into the eyes of those who are closely looking into their own.  As we grow, we learn to look to the facial expressions of our parents/caretakers to see what is safe and what is not.  We soon learn that much can be read within the eyes, and with it is the development of learning emotional regulation, or dysregulation, depending on context.  

        I am also grateful that my eyes could see, so that I could experience visual beauty, and color, and the kind of lights that shine in the eyes of those all around me.  I'm also grateful that I was able to read, words and even lips a little, as they have helped me communicate properly with others.  While I am not deaf, I do have a condition which makes understanding spoken language more difficult, and being able to see what people are saying helps me understand them better.  I still have to have them repeat themselves sometimes, but it's wonderful that I have eyes which work well enough that isn't always the case.

        I am grateful that I have the ability to close my eyes, both to sleep, and to see memories and dreams within them.  To gather images with my eyes, so that when those things come, I can see what my mind recorded.  My memory tends to be tied quite a bit to my vision, so being able to see what I am learning is a huge benefit to me.  Being able to see in a world wherein the greater percentage of people see that way, is easier than trying to navigate it without that privilege and gift.

        There are many reasons I appreciate my eyes, but truly, I think the best is that these lovely lamps, these windows of the soul allow me to share myself and allow others to share themselves with me.  Because this life is all about interactions with our environment, other people, and our place among them.  What better way than through such a simple and yet complex,  and brilliant means?

        Whatever it is you would answer, which you would be most welcome to do, either here in the comments or on the PB Facebook Page, be sure to look beyond the obvious, into the things you perhaps hadn't considered, before.  You never know what you might illuminate, when you look out of your lovely windows with the right mindset! 

          Better days ahead, my friends!

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly


No comments: