Sunday, February 14, 2016

Two, Little, Almost Insignificant Words

        "Be."

        "You."

        Two, tiny little words, used by millions of people, every single day, and often many times a day.  They are so commonly used, that most people don't even think about what they each mean, apart, nor together.  People tend to just throw them out there in conversation as though they were insignificant, little bridges to communication.

        I'm not going to go into long-winded definitions, here.  My fascination with language is not one shared by many, so I'll just keep to my main point.

And what is my main point?
Funny you should ask!

        Lately, I've been having a number of conversations based on the idea of how and what I accept people to be, when we meet.  Sometimes we have a tendency to be afraid of what people are going to think or feel about us, and it keeps us shy of actually sharing ourselves and our truths.  This is actually a sad point of fact, because in reality, being able to see each other as we truly are, at first blush, would be a wonderful gift, and save a whole lot of time, energy and effort, down the line, if we aren't compatible on some level - be it at work, as friends, in romantic relationships, or what have you - and would save them, trying to figure it out, if we are.

        A psychologist told me that humans really can't begin to know each other until one year after they've met; by then, we can see each other for what we are, when we watch closely and see long-term patterns begin to come into focus.  We prove who we are by our actions and habits, choices and responses, over time.  But how would it be, to be able to meet someone and know everything, not having to worry about first impressions and being able to know exactly whether or not you'll get along?

        My own, personal opinion about meeting people, is that I tend to take them how they come.  They are who and what they are, and they're going to have quirks, shades and shadows, just as they have beautiful, shining wonders, too.  I figure, when they choose to reveal something that they were not showing me, previously, those things were always there, whether I knew about them or not, so they shouldn't change the way I feel about that person.  Sometimes they can be difficult things to wrap my head around... or like I've said, "stretch my mental bubble" enough to fit them, but that isn't about that person; that is about me and my willingness to try.

        So, back to those two, seemingly insignificant words.  "Be," and, "You."  It always surprises me, how unprepared people seem to be, when they want to know if it is okay that they are ___, and I simply say, "Be you."  Be you: be whatever and whoever you are... full of wonderful messiness and quirks and chaos sometimes.  Embrace your heart, and allow me to do the same.

        I've known a lot of hearts who have been through things that have scarred and broken them into pieces, and hearts whose lives' experiences forced them into shapes that led them to doing things they now regret.  I've known hearts who have been deeply ashamed just because they existed, and hearts who have always wanted to be loved and accepted, but have never known how to accept it, when it is offered.  I've known hearts whose damage has forced them to create hard shells around them, protecting them from hurt, but also keeping them from joy, too.  I've also known hearts who have been so rejected, time and again, that they are almost afraid of being accepted, because it would be jarring to their fragile equilibrium.  Hearts who feel they are unworthy of being truly loved.  Hearts who don't even understand what real love is.  Hearts who need to be loved and accepted so much they are starving to death, for lack of it.

        And when a person comes to me, and they aren't something they expect to be accepted, how could I respond with anything but those two, little words together?  "Be you."  Be whatever and whoever you are.  How could I pretend to accept you when you're bright and shiny and looking your best, when I know that life is not like that, all the time!  If I only accepted the people into my life who were perfect in my definition of perfection, then I would never have a chance at knowing the most perfectly beautiful flaws and foibles this world creates!

It is the human condition to be imperfect,
and human nature to expect perfection!

It is human potential to rise above that,
but human nature to resist doing it!

        My friends, it is okay to be human.  It is actually wonderful to be human!  Being a human being means we not only can understand our own existence, but we can actually choose how we think, feel and react to things in our lives!  We can choose whether or not to be closed-minded, or willing to embrace this life with eyes wide open and hearts strong enough to handle the hurt, but open enough to embrace love, anyway.  We have the power to direct our lives however we see fit, even if our circumstances are restricting our ability to choose whatever we want.  When we are willing to stay open to opportunities to embrace our lives, we create more potential for love and joy!

        So be you!  Be you, and embrace that entirety of the human you are.  It's alright to be you, and it's okay to be happy, or sad, or angry, or depressed, or grateful, or anything else that you are!  It's okay to be bent, or broken, or confused; healed, or happy, or thrilled to be alive!  Just don't close the door on opportunities to do and be things that are more of what you want and that are closer to the you, you want to be.  That is the most beautiful part of being human, after all.

        Better days ahead, my friends!

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly





No comments: