Monday, July 25, 2016

The Difference, in this World of Insanity and Chaos

        This past week, I had an interesting question come to me, and I found it to be such a powerful line of thinking, I wanted to share some of my thoughts on it.  Generally, I stay away from most topics of current events, but we'll see where this goes.

        The thought came in private on the PB Project Community Facebook Page, with regard to the connection between what this project was created to do, and whether or not it matters that it even tries:
"You sit and do this every day. Why would you think anything you do here is making a difference, in this world of insanity and chaos? What could you possibly achieve, now?"
         I shared this with some people, and surprisingly had a lot of amazing feedback!  One wondered if the person speaking was being belligerent, trying to make me feel like nothing I do matters.  I think that person was very kind to defend my efforts, and yet I don't think that the individual posing the questions was attacking me, but more like sincerely asking me, wondering why on earth I would keep trying to do something good, when all around us is a hailstorm of chaos and human destruction?

         Actually, I find that to be a wonderful question!

         Not that I like that the person seemed to be feeling like we who are not directly involved with the various events around the world, nor their creation, have any hope of so much as influencing the world for good, no matter what we try!  But in the way I understand it, it is a beautiful question, in that it shows that the person asking actually cares about it.  How better to begin the process of figuring out if there is hope, than to wonder if hope is possible?

         Most of those who responded to my sharing the quote were defensive of me and the Project in another way.  They wanted me to know that it has value to them, some saying it has made a difference in their own lives, and know it has in those of others, as well.  One response was simply letting me know that it has value, simply because it has made a difference in mine!  They all wanted me to know they didn't want me to give up, even if someone didn't have faith in it.  For that, I'm deeply grateful - what could make my heart smile more, than that kind of support?

         So what is it that I actually do, with the PB Project?
Well, most of it is on the PB Facebook Page.  
Each day, I visit the Page at least once, but usually twice.  
  • The first time, I respond to the comments and responses left to posts I've previously shared, then scroll the Pages Feeds to see if I can find posts of other Pages which "stand out" to me and I feel are currently something I feel I can share.  There are thousands of posts shared by Pages each day, and only so many come down my Feeds, and so I have to sort them out.  Sometimes I go directly to Pages I have liked in order to see if they have new material to share.  Sometimes I chase the links of Pages other Pages have shared or Liked, simply to see if there are new adventures to be had!  I then leave a quote I find valuable for thought, and go on my way.  This alone takes 30 minutes to an hour, depending on how fruitful my searching happens to be.  
  • Later, usually before I retire to bed, I visit again, this time responding to comments of posts I've shared, left throughout the day, and then dropping an odd post or two, either reflecting my quirky sense of humor, welcomes and instructions, or something I found worth pondering.  The most popular of these types of posts are both the random words, where I simply post a word that comes to my mind, to which people are welcome to respond however they wish; and the gratitude prompts, which inspire them to think about something for which they are grateful that they might not consider, otherwise, so they can keep their minds thinking about positive things, at some point during their day.   
Most weeks, on Mondays, I try to share a blog post.
  • I manage to ramblebabble here on the blog for a bit, and share whatever happened to cross my mind at some point the week before.  Some weeks, I'm unable to get my act together for it*, be it I've had a tough week, been busy, or have just drawn a blank.  Those weeks, the FB community get to revisit past posts, which isn't such a bad deal if you like to read this blog, I guess.  My records show there are, including this post, 178 that have been published, so there is plenty of reading material if you get bored!   
(*I really didn't do much of that until this past year when I started having more of those off-kinds of weeks, and I decided to use it to demonstrate my not being a hypocrite, and show myself some self-compassion and self-care.  While not thrilled about having to do it, I'm okay with that choice, as it allows me to be okay with moving forward without beating myself up about the past, nor the future - what a waste of the present!)
Any other time, if I have spare time and energy, I do bits and pieces, more.
  • I'll turn to the PB Pinterest Boards, and add a few things, here and there, sometimes sharing the links to FB.  
  • I also get a lot of newsletter emails of various sorts, and sometimes share those articles, as well.  It's always something.
         Really, though, my favorite part of running the PB Project is simply the interaction we have!  I love the comments, messages, and how often I get a comments like, "I really needed to see this. today. Thank you so much!"  Or, "When I log into FB, your Page is the first thing I check, to see what new posts you've shared."  Or even, "It's so weird, but I've never met you, and yet consider you a friend.  In fact, I consider many of the people here my friends!"

Seriously, could I ask for a higher level of compliments?

         Why would you think anything you do here is making a difference, in this world of insanity and chaos?  Because it already is.  It makes a difference for those needing to feel that they are not alone in that crazy, mixed up space so many humans seem to be creating, all around us.  It makes a difference in that there have been a number of times when feeling a responsibility to those who are here, and on the FB Page, has pulled me up out of bed when I've been in a black abyss of depression, and had me focusing on positive inspiration, whether I truly felt like I was doing any good or not - in fact, several times I've felt like a hypocrite, trying to help others feel like moving forward is possible, when I didn't even want to, myself.  So yeah, it is making a difference, in a lot of ways.

         What could you possibly achieve, now?  I can't say for sure, since there is no way to read the future, but I know what I can aim to achieve, and then hope for the best as I fine-tune my goals, as we go.  Right now, I have some people helping me figure out if I want to take some new steps, and how to go about it.  Having over 4200 members on Facebook, and then I have no idea how many signed up to follow the blog via email, astounds me. (I don't actually see those blog email stats; I only see the blog page view numbers, so those who read in email and never visit, don't seem to get counted for some reason.)  That is a lot of people who saw something they liked, here, and then clicked their mouse to follow us!

         And so many, beautiful and amazing people interact through comments, messages and posts - oh, you make my heart smile, so often!  Even when I come to check the notifications, I can't go far down that list without seeing messages that make me smile, laugh, or even tear up.  People speak from the heart, deeply reflect in even the lightest and funniest posts, still with humor and warmth, and just sharing such positive energy, it's contagious!

The PB Project has grown from one person doing a favor for a few friends,
into something that almost sustains itself,
feeding all who enter and interact in some way.  

How could I have ever expected that it would grow?
I couldn't have done it alone, that's for sure!
It's a collaboration between me and all who join us!
So how could I know what is possible, 
when it isn't just up to me?

         So I leave you with this prompt, my friends.  We sit and do something, every day.  Why do we think that what we're doing will result in something that will change anything?  If we find we really don't, then why not?  And better yet, why not find something we find more worthy of our time and effort?  We certainly don't have to do it alone, and sometimes finding others with the same mind is one of the biggest and most important steps, though not always the easiest.  But that's a topic for another post, perhaps!

         Feel free to comment, here or on Facebook.  The comment thingy here has been malfunctioning for me, and while others can comment, I can't seem to be able to respond properly, so my apologies for those who have tried and think I've been ignoring you!  But I'm happy to have you here, and I look forward to seeing what we can achieve, together.

         Better days ahead, my friends!

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly



No comments: