Monday, November 21, 2016

“We Apologize for the Inconvenience.”

        I've been a little lax in writing the past, few weeks, because a friend of mine came into the country for a visit, and so we've been busy.  But there have been a few things I've noticed while exploring my world with them which I've noticed elsewhere at other times, but at times like these they stand out so sharply I just want to squeak!  There are other posts I've made which touch on a similar vein of this topic*, so clearly this is something that I feel needs to be addressed once in a while.

        When I created the title for this post, I had to chuckle, because I'm a nerd, and a geek, and while so much so I know the difference between the two, I really can't boast otherwise.  I just happened to be starting with a title this time, and when I thought of that line I used, it reminded me of a nearly obscure line in a certain, well-known book series by Douglas Adams.  Total tangent, but it amuses me, so I'm throwing it in for fun!

        The topic has been nudging me for months; maybe years.  The more I become captive by my medical and other adventures, the more I become aware that while some able-bodied people are more aware and accommodating of those with disabilities, in the general population, at least where I live, there is a serious lack of such attitudes.  In fact, the appearance of a person with any kind of disability or abnormality is something seen as anything from awkward, to annoying, to repulsive!  Some people try to be respectful and even give minor assistance, like getting out of the way, holding a door, or even just smiling as they acknowledge that the disabled are humans deserving of recognition of that fact.  It's good to know such kindnesses still exist in this world!

But sometimes people just don't get the point.  

        I've come to think that people who design public places, such as parks and venues such as museums or family entertainment centers, should spend some time during their education studying what it is like navigating their designs literally through the eyes of future, disabled guests! Perhaps a class wherein they actually go through in various means of transport, such as wheelchairs or crutches, to help give a very tangible means of understanding views, angles, and placement in the spaces they create.

        I say this because in one of my adventures, my friend and I visited a local, children's, hands-on museum which taught all kinds of things through active play. It was actually a rather brilliant idea and build, and in general, the experience was amazing!  But I required the use of a wheelchair in order to make it completely through the adventure, and that part of it all wasn't as impressive. 

        In many areas, the hallways were so tight no one could walk around my chair, and so there were a lot of impatient, frustrated, and annoyed children and adults trying to make their way, no matter how hard I tried to stay out of the way. I ended up just parking in corners, hoping people didn't find that too inconvenient. The floors were uneven, and in some areas covered in mats or other things difficult to navigate. Some people were kind and understanding, but others certainly weren't!  And then of course several areas weren't given disability access, with tall, narrow, steep staircases and cramped quarters, or areas enclosed with low walls the children were encouraged to climb over as they worked on their gross motor development, to explore the areas on the other side.

         Now, before you come at me with the argument that as an adult, it didn't really matter that I couldn't fit in some of the areas, because it was designed for children, I must ask: what about the children who, like myself, had to just stay there, in their chairs, watching as other children got to participate?  This is certainly not the only place this sort of thing happens, either!  I'm aware that many people get annoyed with the idea of others who push for "equality" in such matters, but I'm pretty sure that if it were their loved ones who were locked out of the experience, those people would be seeing it from a different perspective. 

        I guess my point is that during that entire experience, and in many others from shopping, to restaurants, to whatever else, I've come to feel that I've become rather inconvenient for other people. Of course, people who truly love me have no concerns about that sort of thing, but for the world at large, my mere existence in a situation is awkward at best, frustrating or aggravating at worst!  Most of the time I'm still able to get around with a cane/stick, but in those times I'm not so fortunate, I become quite the complication!  And clearly, I'm one of those people who cares about that!

Pardon my rant, my friends.
I just feel like this is a topic which deserves thought and discussion.
It needs be that people like myself get a voice and others need to listen.
We don't have to be such an inconvenience!

        The modern world just needs to realize that people who require additional accommodations do not need to be met with disrespect and annoyance, and developers really could pay more attention to focusing more on the actual experience and not on meeting some kind of regulation requirements when building their projects.  Is it really a matter of individual attitude?  I don't know.  I do know that this is something that means something, not just to myself but to many others, as well, so I hope that those for whom this resonates in some way will find a way to use your own voices to facilitate change.  After all, it is the process of individual voices joining together which brings about further attention.

      Better days ahead, my friends!

 ©The Phoenix and The Butterfly

 ©The Phoenix and The Butterfly



*In case of interest or boredom, some of the former PB posts related to the topic, I snatched quickly while putting this post together:


No comments: