Thursday, July 11, 2013

Relax....

You might have noticed, I have an issue with sleep.  Don't get me wrong, though, I don't dislike it in general!  I think it can be wonderful, feel amazing, and of course is great for one's health!  Believe me, I could list countless reasons and ways that sleep is a good thing.  In fact, I probably know more about sleep than the Average Joe.

Why is that, you ask?  Why is it I know so much about something with which I struggle, so much?  Surely you realize: it's because I have an issue with it!  When do we most often learn the most about something?  When we have an issue that requires we learn it!

I've struggled with sleep for years.  When I was still working, trying to even develop a sleep schedule - never mind trying to stay on one - was painfully, nearly impossible.  We tried just about everything, from personal routine modification, relaxation exercises, and meditation/music, to a variety of medications and modifications to medication routines.  It seemed like every night was a battle to sleep, and every morning was a battle to wake, and both could bring me to tears of frustration! 

Of course, by then I knew that stressing out about sleep is one of the best ways to ensure it won't happen, but feeling so tired during the day that my body literally ached, burned and felt nauseated wasn't exactly helping me stay calm about it all!

These days, I've finally been putting pieces of my health history together, and one of the things that has started to make sense, is that there is a very good (well, maybe not good, but at least valid) list of health-related reasons why sleep has been such a battle, for so long!  Amazing what you realize you didn't know, when you learn something about something you did know, but hadn't realized!  (Yes, that was intended to make your mind wake up a bit - get used to that kind of thing, because it's part of my quirky, charming humor. ;-)  )

A lot of health issues can interact in such a way as to cause insomnia.  If you want to learn more about them, there are many sites dedicated to that sort of thing.  This is not one of them, but at least stick around and finish this post before running to your search engine of choice (or medical practitioner, should you be retro that way ;-) ). 

I had no idea how many of the little bullet points on my medical history novel were related, until I began having so many, severe issues that I eventually made the medical circuit enough times to finally begin to make sense of it all.  Sort of.  I imagine I've only just begun, though who knows if I'll be able to get things sorted out properly in the future?

I won't bore you with all the details.  This blog wasn't created to make you into medical geniuses; it was created as an attempt for someone out there to feel like maybe they aren't alone out there, and maybe there can be hope for all of us, if we are brave enough to connect and help pull each other through some of these things Life so insanely decides to throw at us.

Where was I?  
Oh yes, awake at 3 am, writing about being awake at 3 am.  The world is a fascinating thing, is it not? 

The point of this post was supposed to be about...I can't remember now (did I mention sleep can help with memory issues? Ahem).  Should I even post it, then?  Will you, the reader, feel so entirely disappointed you'll click out of this blog and never come back?

Or, will you simply yawn, and go take a nap? 
(*waits for the nearly-inevitable yawn, simply at the mention if the word, "yawn"*)

Well okay then.  I'm gonna try to go to sleep, too!

Better day tomorrow, my friends.




No comments: