Sunday, August 11, 2013

This Was Not Supposed To Be a Wake-A-Thon!

I have something to bare to the world, because admitting the problem is part of healing, right?

Okay then. Here we go.

        I'm not very good at the process I described in a previous post.  In fact, I think I struggle with just about everything that amazing therapist has helped me learn, if certainly not master.  So don't think I'm some guru who had mastered the art of living with chronic pain/illness.  That's not what this blog is about (sorry).  It's about helping you see that you're not alone in your struggles, even if yours are different than mine.

        Some of the things I've been trying to make habits, that contribute to naturally occurring pain relief, are quite a part of simply living healthy, overall.  For example, get enough sleep that your body experiences both REM sleep and deep, restorative sleep, because both are very important on helping the brain release chemicals that heal the body and cause pain-relieving processes.  Usually this is about 8 hours, but can vary a little bit.

       Obviously, I struggle with this one.  Most of my posts are written around 2-4 am, regardless of when they actually get posted.  But I find I have solid reasons for this night-owl behavior, and so I have had to adjust my timing in order to maintain a semblance of a schedule.  It's not perfect, but I'm trying.

       Another, is get exercise.  Our brains are developed as young children, that certain experiences cause pain, so in order to protect the body's life, the mind tries to avoid things that cause pain.  Unfortunately, if you live with chronic pain, like in Fibromyalgia or arthritis, in order to exercise, you're going to have to fight against this seemingly logical adaptation.  However, during exercise, the brain and body release stored chemicals, certain vitamins and even medications in fat tissue, when reaching the fat-burning level of activity.  It's healthy, all the way around.

       For myself, for example, I go to a pool clinic, and try to use the pool twice a week, and between all the reps of exercises, I'm in the clinic for about two hours each time.  This is amazingly wonderful for me; the warm water loosens my joints, muscles and connective tissues, allowing me to move more freely and comfortably.
 
        Unfortunately, once I'm home and my body starts to cool down...that's when the consequences begin.  Basically, for the rest of the day, my body feels like my blood was replaced with burning acid, and my joints, muscles and connective tissues ache and feel stiff.  My mind says, "What on earth are you thinking?!"  However, the next day, as long as I continue my daily wakeup routine of stretches and such, I feel better, and over time my general pain decreases.  It's just continuing, despite the pain of getting to that point.

        There is also the eating healthy foods, of which the body appreciates smaller meals spread out over the course of the day.  I'm hypoglycemic, so that one's not too hard, though choosing healthy options can be frustrating with so many dietary restrictions!

        My therapist also recommended I keep a journal of a record of how I feel (pain levels), my emotional state, and basically what is happening right then...three times a day, allowing me to better track what works and what doesn't for me, and what times a day are better or worse for me.  I find this annoying at times, so it's difficult.  But since I've always been good at journaling, at least I try.

        Anyway, I thought I'd share these, in the hope others might benefit from the tiny crash course in naturally contributing to pain relief.  If you have suggestions, please leave a comment below or on the PB project's Facebook page.

        At the moment, as a parting comment, I'm on the 39th, waking hour of a kidney stone's grand exit, so I've also been trying to master breathing, mindfulness and even the power of music.  Amazing how my body thinks insomnia is a panacea of sorts, despite it being quite far from the truth. *sigh*

Better day tomorrow, my friends!




No comments: