Monday, May 9, 2016

Bound and Determined!

        We're going to try for another blog post, this week, my friends.  Maybe we'll actually get it out there and you'll be able to read it!  Here we go....

        I happened to be looking through some quotes, this past week, and I noticed one which really stood out to me, and not because of current situations in the States, wherein I live.  It comes from a man whom some loved, some didn't, but I've really admired for what he tried to do in the face of all that came his way, and his attitude toward it.  I'm not going to give you a history lesson, partially because History was never my best subject and you can find much more info on the internet, if you so choose, and it has nothing to do with my point, here.  But I do want to share this quote, because it really resonated with my heart:

“I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. 
I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I might have. ”

—Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)
16th U.S. President 

        For me, this quote is actually rather applicable to the way I've been feeling about my life, especially lately, and I know others feel this way, too. I'm not sure how to explain it, but perhaps I'll just break it down into segments, and explain them in my context, and we can go from there.

        I am not bound to win...  I'm not in any kind of race, game, nor competition, so to "win" here is not about that sort of thing.  There have been times when I've used the phrase, "I just can't win!"  And what I meant was that it seemed like no matter what I did, nothing seemed to work out the way I had wanted it.  It can be very frustrating, disappointing and disheartening to feel that way, and sometimes it just feels like if there is little evidence to a chance to succeed, why try?  There are times I do face the cold darkness of despair, knowing my chances of being "healed" and "normal" again are incredibly slim.  I am not bound to win against my own genetic quirks, and the consequences thereof.  Quirks that up until a few years ago, I had no idea existed!

        ...but I am bound to be true.  In this case, I feel "bound" in the sense of obligation to follow the course of truth and honor in my life.  I feel it is my duty to follow my natural honesty and concern for not only myself, but those I love, extending to my local population, the world of living beings, the planet itself, and the universe as a whole.  I feel that I must do what I can to help these to be better, for my having been here, within and among them.  I want to do my best for us all.

        ...I am not bound to succeed...  Sometimes I feel I have been broken, repeatedly, and for some reason I cannot get the pieces to fit back together in a way I want nor expect.  I recognize that some of my challenges are permanent, and degenerative, and will only become more complex, frustrating, painful, and often disheartening.  That is my truth, and I am working on "radical acceptance" and moving forward with what pieces I have.  Fortunately, I have learned how to love myself in general, so at least I have that going for me.  None of us get out of this life alive, as the saying by Jake Bailey goes, so I need to understand that I must make the best of the situation in which I find myself, just as we all do.

        ...but I am bound to live up to what light I might have.  Over the course of my lifetime, I have had the opportunity to receive much guidance through classes, workshops, seminars, personal counselors, and friends.  I have learned to try to let go of the labels and burdens others have given me, and open my heart and vent some of the griefs I've carried, which have not been easy tasks.  The thing about being broken, is that even if the pieces could come together in ways that fit, often you'll still have little cracks and bits missing, but which allow light to shine through to the other side.  

        I am not a bad person - in fact, I'm fairly sure I'm quite a decent person - and being able to acknowledge that is a good thing!  I know that I have light within me, as do we all, and by allowing that light to shine through the cracks, out into the world and into the universe, itself, we brighten them.  We all have the opportunity to brighten our existence, and each other's, simply by allowing our truth to exist and be shared!  How can we not do that, if we now know we can?

        My friends, we have the ability to shine, and our light in its purest form is a beautiful thing, with much power for positive change within it!  Can we embrace that power, and that light?  Can we choose to use those, even when we feel we are not bound to win, nor succeed?  What could the world be like, if we all did that?  Couldn't that be amazing?

        Better days ahead, my friends!

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly



No comments: