Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Did You Just Smile at Me? Here, Have One of Mine, Too!

        Week 41 of my personal challenge is a rather sweet one.  The quote is from one of the sweetest, most loving women of all time.

"Let us always meet each other with a smile,
for the smile is the beginning of love."

~ Mother Teresa

        Christine then goes on to ask the following:

Can you smile on purpose at least once 
each day this week?


        This is actually a really fun question!  Have you ever noticed (or are you one of) those people who smile at everyone they pass and cross, no matter what they are going through? I happen to very much admire these kind of people! It isn't that they are naively going about things, ignoring things, nor giving pretense to what is going on in their lives, nor the lives around them. Mainly, it is simply about the things they value. Because positive energy can definitely be considered something worth creating and sharing!

        I would love to say that I am continually one of those people. Actually, my personality make-up tends to be stubbornly positive/hopeful, or at least stubborn about moving forward, even when I don't feel like it. It isn't a lack of value in things of light, but... we can't always be positive, all the time. However, few things are so wonderful as sharing a smile, and to have it returned, even to and by a stranger!

        One thing I've come to love about having a much lower-than-normal view while going to extended outings, such as shopping when I use motorized carts, or using a wheelchair when traveling, for example, is that itty ones in strollers or seated in carts are nearly always curious about the big person who rides around, like they do! They nearly always stare in wonder, and when they see me smile at them, often they will return the smile, realizing that I'm okay with them, and not too strange, despite my appearances. Older children, up to adulthood, sometimes have a harder time, but that's okay.

        The thing is... those smiles from tiny faces brighten my day, and I can't help but love them! The same for those I pass, anywhere, who reply to my smiles or other, friendly gestures with positive reinforcement. It's nice to connect with other people, as few and far between as it can sometimes be. The thing is, smiles are a lovely way to show someone you care about them, even if you don't know them.  Everyone needs to have a form of connection that tells them they are, at the very least, worthy of being acknowledged for their existing.

       An article posted on livescience.com describes results of research aimed at seeing the value of smiling at others and in particular, at strangers, as we go about our day.  Smiling, and receiving smiles, helps us feel more connected to the world at large, and better feel that we belong.  Science, in this case, is supporting what Mother Teresa already told us.  To me, this is actually, rather wonderful!  But I tend to be a big supporter in helping others feel like they belong to a greater whole - that is, after all, the point of the PB Project, especially of the Facebook side of it, and perhaps soon, to other areas as the Project expands!

        Personally, I don't always see someone outside my home, every day of every week.  That's just the way my life is working out, at the moment.  Since I've just arrived home from a bit of traveling (hence this post getting out a bit later than usual), perhaps having just spent more time with others than I typically do, can count for this week?  Hah!  But honestly, I think it's always good to focus on bringing light, love and positive energy to those with whom we come in contact.  So perhaps this can encourage you, the reader, and myself, to pay more attention to meeting some eyes and smiling, more.  And hopefully, this will help create...

        Better days ahead, my friends!

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly

No comments: