Sunday, November 30, 2014

It's About Time!

        This past week kinda lost me for a bit...somehow.  I'm not sure where I was when it flew by, but alas, it is gone, and here we are, facing a new one!  So...welcome to Monday, my friends!

        The challenge this week has a quote and question that are rather interesting, to me.  It happens to be on a vein that has been a bit of a personal challenge for me, all around!

"Do what you can,
with what you have,
where you are."

~ Theodore Roosevelt

        And in her personal commentary, Christine mentions how there are plenty of reasons to be willing to put off doing stuff... "If I just had some more money, time, energy...".  I'd imagine I'm not the only one to whom that sounds familiar!  So then she asks:

What can you do today, right where you are, with what you have?

        It just so happens, this reminds me of a line I've been using for years: "We're all doing the best we can, with what we have...and if all we have is (mud or other, such things), well, it makes a mess!"  Rather than being an excuse for blaming other things or people for our inabilities or mistakes, this is meant to help comfort those who feel that no matter what they do, it is never enough - they ask, "How do I know if what I've been doing is the best I can?"  If you have to sincerely ask that question, there's a pretty good chance you're doing it.  Often we are our worst critic.

I phrased that in a way that sounds like I've no experience with that,
but I openly admit, I struggle just as much as the next person, sometimes.
That is the point of the PB Project, after all!
None of us is alone, when we have each other by our side.

        Now, it just so happens that I've covered this topic in a poster I've had on the PB Facebook Community Page, so it isn't that I've never considered this, before:



©The Phoenix and The Butterfly


        The fact is...we all have challenges that can keep us from not only making progress on our own; at the same time, we all have our own, unique gifts, talents and abilities that make us able to do what we need to do...even if it isn't quite the way we'd want, expect nor hope.  For example, when I started experiencing more severe symptoms of osteoarthritis (early-onset) in my hands, we went out in search of things I could use to help me still retain some form of independence.  In the kitchen, we installed an electric can opener, and found a nifty, little, gripper thingy that allows me to more easily open bottles of various types; all of which allows me more ability to not have to depend on another person to do something as simple as opening things!  (I still allow for the occasional demonstration of manhood in that, particular role of classic strength and masculinity...but don't tell! ;) )

        Another example has been the need to walk more independently.  I now use a cane, in order to not throw out the back of anyone who tries to help me manage walking very far (though holding a hand of a certain loved one here and there is still a bit of magic that helps me keep at it).  For the most part, when I'm not injured, I'm capable of wandering around my home without that kind of assistance, but out and about, I tend to be a bit more unstable with the inability to expect what I'll find, on the ground and elsewhere, so the cane helps keep me upright and have more self-confidence...and is also great for opening doors; I've been told it's also a lovely substitution for the little putters used at mini golf, if in fact I decide to go out and play a round!

So... I suppose ingenuity is one, huge factor in the success of doing what one can.
Other factors include other people willing to help;
ability to research causes, effects, ideas and solutions;
and of course, a sense of humor!

        Taking care of oneself is a major part of that, too!  Being able to eat properly; exercise; get enough rest; allow for moments of distraction from the everyday mindsets, often found in some form of entertainment; continue learning, in order to strengthen the mind and improve general outlook; connect with loved ones who can help ground, center and comfort; and various other things that allow the mind, body, and emotional state to have what they need to function the best they can.  Various circumstances in my life hamper my ability to meet a number of those needs, but again...I just have to do the best I can.

        This post appears rather self-focused.  It isn't that I'm ignoring the fact that there are also extensions of these ideas into other areas of our lives, including helping others; it's that taking care of our own needs has to come first, or we will be unsuccessful in either the short- or long-terms, if only because of exhaustion and burnout!  Besides...once you've mastered the art of making life work for you, you can help others learn the process, too.  That way, you're best able to help those you wish to support, both in allowing you the strength to do it, and in being a good example of how it works!

        So there you have it.  Take it or leave it; these are just a few of the things I've found to be vital in my ability to keep moving forward with my life, and I've seen them working in the lives of others around me, so I think they are worth at least seriously considering.  Best of fortune to us all!

        Better days ahead, my friends!


©The Phoenix and The Butterfly
©The Phoenix and The Butterfly



No comments: