Monday, May 30, 2016

Achieving Success the Ordinary, Imperfect Way

        These past, few weeks, I've been spending time with my memories, feelings and thoughts about a life remembered; having a few experiences connecting my heart and mind to the imperfections of the present; and attempting to focus my dreams and goals toward an unpredictable future, as the anniversary of my birth looms near!  It's been a rather full month!

        And here, we continue onward.  So let's do this, hmm?

        As I was meandering through the quote archives, looking for a good source of inspiration for this week's blog post, I came across this little gem. This one always reminds me of certain friends of mine, one with whom I happened to have been talking, recently.

He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often, and loved much;
Who has enjoyed the trust of pure women, the respect of intelligent men and the love of little children;

Who has filled his niche and accomplished his task;

Who has never lacked appreciation of Earth's beauty or failed to express it;
Who has left the world better than he found it,
Whether an improved poppy, a perfect poem, or a rescued soul;
Who has always looked for the best in others and given them the best he had;
Whose life was an inspiration;
Whose memory a benediction.

~ Bessie Anderson Stanley

        Quite an impressive resume, don't you think?  To be able to be this kind of person (not just male) - a wonderful, amazing person!  Is that kind of human being even possible?  Would that kind of person know it, if they were?

        And how would it be, to know such a soul?  To have experienced an association with someone with so much presence and "success", as Ms. Stanley described?  Have you, my friends, ever known anyone who fit such a bill?

        Would you believe me, if I said I have, indeed, known someone who over the course of their lifetime has accomplished some form of each and all of these?  I know I actually could admit to knowing more than one of them, and I'll admit, their imprints in my life, and in my very being, have been some of the most powerful of any I've been privileged to receive.  I am a better person because we've shared the path together, for a while.  I can only hope I've benefited their lives, as well!

        Is it possible to become this kind of person?  Each of us being someone who has strived to be the very best of humankind; in each step trying to be and do more to improve the world through positive and constructive engagement within the realm of our influence?  Could we, in our current state, ever hope to be this kind of inspiration? 

        And would we, if we could?

        I will not be so brash and conceited as to say I could speak definitively for anyone but myself, though I am willing to admit that I do believe in each of us, my friends.  I do believe we have that potential within us, if we are willing to give it a try, and then another, and then another; each attempt being our contribution to the present and future of our lives, and to mankind.  It isn't a sudden burst of brilliance; it is small, shimmering glimmers of light, like stars in a darkened sky.  One, little choice at a time.  One, simple thing after another.

        I'm really not sure I've much to add to that, at the moment.  I guess there have been so many things on my mind and heart that, at least for now, this will have to do.  Since I've found the theme of my year so far seems to be allowing myself my own kindness and compassion, I'm going to let it be enough.  Mostly I simply wanted to share my moment of wonder at the idea of something so extraordinary as one person being ordinary in a very beautiful sort of way.

        Better days ahead, my friends!

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly




No comments: