Monday, August 15, 2016

My Friend, I Just Want You to Know...

Dear Friend,

        I know you're going through a tough time, right now, but I just want you to know...
...I love you.
...I care about you.
...I am here, be it actually in your presence or simply by heart.  You don't have to go through this alone.
...I know you might not know what I can do to help, and I'm not sure, either, but here are some of the things I know I can do, and if you think any of these would be helpful, please let me?  I want to be able to help lift your load while you're going through this.  If and when you're up to brainstorming some different ideas, I'm happy to get creative!
...I want to respect you and your needs, and sometimes the things I think will be helpful, aren't going to be helpful to you, so please let me know, even if it is a simple yes or no, so I can learn what works best for you.
...if you feel like talking, I am happy to listen, and will try to do so without judgment and criticism, and try to just let you talk.
...while there is no way for me to know exactly what it is like for you to be going through this, I may or may not have been through something I think is similar, and would appreciate knowing what it is like for you, so I can understand better, if and when you're up to sharing?
...it's okay to feel what you feel, about this.  It's natural to feel any of a wide variety of things when we're going through a tough time, and none of it changes your worth nor value as a human being.  
...I care about you no matter what you think or feel, right now.
...you might feel like you aren't yourself right now, and that's okay.  I don't think you're crazy, stupid, a horrible friend, nor whatever else, even if you feel like you are.  When we're going through a tough time, it's hard to maintain our equilibrium, and that is why I'm here, to help where and when I can.
...while tough times don't last forever, they are very real while they last, and I want to make sure you know that I understand that.  
 ...I may not be able to fix it, and I know there may not be a fix, but if there is, I will do what I can to help you find it.  If there isn't, then I'll still be here, however I can be.
...there might be situations when you need to reach out at odd times, and that's okay.  Whenever I'm available, I want to be here for you.
...I don't have to be here, but I want to be, because you are someone who matters to me, and it matters to me that you know that.
...we'll get through this, whether there is a silver lining and rainbow, or not.  
   
        There are other things I could add, but these are a start.  I just wanted you to know, because you are my friend, and that is partly what I feel love and friendship mean.  They are more about being there in the hard times as anything else; in fact, it's more important to be loving, patient, and kind during those times when we need each other the most, than anything we do when we're having the fun, laughing times.  I've been grateful for those times you've been there for me, and I'm grateful that I can have the opportunity to be here for you, now.  So let's do this.

        Better days ahead, my friends!

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly


©The Phoenix and The Butterfly

No comments: