Sunday, December 24, 2017

Chrysalises and Ashes in the River of Change

Recently, I found a quote that has had me thinking, and I wanted to share it with you. 
Will you value it?  I have no idea.  It might totally bore you.  But hey, at least it entertained me!

Life is dynamic—always changing. Heraclitus said, 
“You can’t step in the same river twice.” 
The truth is that you can’t even step in the same river once, 
because even as you step in the river, it is changing.

~ Neil Farber M.D, Ph.D.

        Wow!  What a powerful way to look at life!  Have you ever thought about that, in that way?  It's true, though: even in this moment, there are things going on all around you, things you know, and things you don't.  There could be something going on with someone in your family, or a friend, or a coworker, any of which could have an eventual impact on you and/or your life.  It could be a national event, or something the leader of some country did on the other side of the planet.

        You may or may not have heard of the concept of The Butterfly Effect - not the science fiction story, but the actual scientific concept - which is basically the idea of one, tiny thing affecting other, larger things, which in fact could in effect change an entire system, or even beyond it.  We have no way to know what is going on, all around us, even when we are calm, quiet, or even asleep.

        But what of this concept?  PB, why are you even bringing this up? You ask.

        I'm so glad you asked!

        It's getting to the end of the (Gregorian) calendar year, and a lot of people have been talking about how 2016 has been a rough and rocky year for so many, especially on social media!  I can't exactly claim that it hasn't for me, either.  So many changes, and so many huge things to cross my path, this year, from diagnoses to deaths to major changes in family and friendship dynamics, and more!  At times it has seemed like I've not even been able to cease reeling from one figurative blow, and another one or two strike!

        Another, poignant quote I found in relation to all the upheaval we've seemed to experience:

Most of our troubles are due to our passionate desire for
and attachment to things that we misapprehend as enduring entities.

~ Dalai Lama

        As I've pondered this concept over the past year, I suppose I could say that life has seen to it that I have plenty of opportunities to explore and experience it!  If this life truly is a school of sorts, to help us achieve our greatest potential if we are willing to attain it, I would say this has has been a master class for many of us, with much homework!

        I've had the chance to learn how to let go of my attachment to a lot of things, such as anything from certain types of clothes I preferred because they helped me feel like "me", which I can no longer wear; to foods in a form I preferred because of a new complication of illness;  to friends, family and other loved ones who need to take a new turn in their paths which separate us in some way; to parts of myself and my life with which I identified myself as an individual...my life has taken a lot of things which I thought or hoped would never change or end, and made it clear that I need to let go of that "passionate desire for and attachment to things that (I've) misapprehend(ed) as enduring entities."

Things change.  People change.  Life changes, each moment of each day and night.
Our call and responsibility is to allow that process of development and growth.
It is what life is all about.
It is what living is.

        Being able to receive, and even sometimes support this process is a gift to our lives, and the lives of others.  As we adopt change and growth, we embrace our ability to achieve that great potential which lies in each of us!  We cannot emerge from our chrysalis transformed if we are unwilling to let go and change, within it!  We cannot rise from the ashes of our defeats if we are reluctant to take those experiences and use them to brighten and empower our new plumage!  

        So what do you think, my friends?  Have you found this experience, yourself?  Is it something you are striving to achieve, or are you feeling overwhelmed by the mere thought of such a thing?  Sometimes we have the opportunity to choose these experiences, and sometimes we have no choice whatsoever.  Either way, the river changes, and it changes us, as well.  Feel free to comment, either here or on the PB Facebook Community Page, where we tend to discuss more frequently and in more detail.  I always welcome thoughts and insights!

        Better days ahead, my friends!


©The Phoenix and The Butterfly

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly



*** Author's note: my sincere apologies, but Blogger has not seen fit to allow me to respond to posts, despite my trying in every way I can think to try. So I've not ignored any posts, anywhere, but I've just not been able to figure out how to respond!  Fortunately there are other ways to respond to posts, such as to the FB Page and my email thephoenixandthebutterfly@gmail.com ***


1 comment:

a step in the ocean said...

this has been a long trying year for alot of us ,i have not stepped in a river but an ocean ,and at times have felt as if i was going to drown ,my childhood all the way up till this moment of 59 has been a always changeing thing ,never feeling ive done enough ,sometimes that i have done to much ,never feeling accepted by family only to be used in so many ways ,but no more ,i am what my gramdmother always called a old soul ,a peace maker ,well i cant save this family for it is doomed which is sad, i have to untie the apron strings for good and let things fall were they may ,,i fell as if i am in a way on my last journey of this road i have traveled ,with all its twists & turns ,the good ,the bad ,the ugly ,i have been around the block myself a time or two ,but you know ,its all good ,i once watched as my middle grandson brought me a twig with a cocoon on it ,we put in a jar ,and as the days unfolded ,the most beautiful thing happened ,a beautiful butterflie emerged ,and my grandson was so in aww, i told him it was the cocoons rebirth ,,i pray he holds those thoughts with him for another day in his life ,many have passed in our family ,all the parents ,grandparents ,uncles ,all that is left is 2 son's who will forever be divided ,2 sisters ,neices & nephews i shall never see ,grandkids not knowing 1 another ,and a baby in the midst of it all whom i pray finds her way in this twisted family ,my great grandaughter whom will become my grandaughter when she is adopted by my oldest son ,i do not know if this is fait or is wrong , its not for me to say ,my thoughts & opions do no matter within this family anymore ,so as i stand in the midst of this storm in this ocean ,i pray i will not be swallowed up ,i pray that i as a cocoon ,will emerge as a butterflie 1 day and be able to fly free ,,,,,,,,,