Saturday, June 22, 2013

Working On Progress - The Did It List

I've learned a few things in my life, here and there, and sometimes they're even worth knowing!

One thing I've learned, through counseling, classes and experience (because I really do try to practice what I learn in those classes and appointments), is that while a To-Do list is a great way to remember what you need to do, and whether you did them or not, sometimes we feel bad when we look at that list and think with a frown, "Dang, did I really not get much done today?"

That seems like a rather rough way to boost one's mood.  I'm pretty sure that, "Beat myself up at the end of the day because I didn't get everything crossed off my list", isn't something you'd put on the list!  And yet, how many times have we done that?  In fact, how many people are there who have given up on the idea of such a list, simply because it seemed more of a "Demonstration of Failure" list than an accomplishment list?

Therefore, I have tried (not perfectly, I admit) to keep another list handy, as well.  Perhaps at the bottom of the page, or on the back, one could put a "Did It" list!  I happen to love the "Did It" list, because it shows us that we might not be as lame about getting stuff done as we thought! 

Basically, the idea is rather self-explanatory.  You would list all the things you did that day, so you can see progress you wouldn't see on the standard To-Do list.  Try to be as detailed as you can, because every minute counts!

For instance:

~ Got out of bed
~ Brushed my teeth
~ Took a shower
~ Got dressed
~ Fixed and ate breakfast
(All important things, and all taking a bit of your time)

Got kids?  Taking time for them is important!
~ Changed diapers (x5)
~ Cleaned up messes (x10)
~ Played with the kids (x5)
~ Helped with homework
~ Made food for the kids, fed them, and cleaned up after them (x3)
~ Had unexpected Taxi Mom/Dad duty

~ Have a friend drop by?  Those kinds of things are important too, and can be added, as well.

I'm guessing you get the idea.

I think I'm going to need to work on that concept a bit more, too.  When I'm not feeling as well, I sometimes feel like I'm not doing anything important, or just wasting days.  Taking care of one's own needs count, too!

Here's to a better day tomorrow!






No comments: