Monday, December 28, 2015

Happy or Not, Here We Are!

Okay... so... here we are.

Some are thrilled that this week has finally arrived...
...some can't wait for it to be over.
Some have been enjoying the sights, sounds and wonders of the season...
...some have just been gritting their teeth and muddling through, best they can.
Some have been waiting all year for this...
...some already dread there being another, next year.
Some want to sing it from the rooftops...
...some wouldn't mind knocking them off.
Some are looking to the new year as a wonderful way to begin again and look to a brighter tomorrow...
...some are just feeling the phrase:

"Next verse, same as the first, a little bit louder, and a little bit worse!'

        And this is what I, personally, have to say about the whole lot of it.

        Over the years, the turning of the months on my calendars have mostly mattered a bit less, every year.  Each year, I look for a new calendar (usually a free one at the local pharmacy), hang it up, and go on as usual.  Actually, I've been fortunate enough that some of my loved ones have decided that my calendar for each year is a special thing, as they find ones of value and send them on over.  I've had a beautiful variety of them, the past, few years, and have been smiling at each turn of the pages, thinking of them every time I look at them.  It has become a wonderful sort of tradition I've enjoyed!  However, other than the new images and tracking of appointments and so on, the passing weeks and months haven't actually made much significant impact.  Each day simply passes in a blur of days, in a sort of slowed down, fast forward, if that makes sense.

        On the other hand, the effects of time have begun to slowly alter things, and I'm reaching the age when my body's physical changes are no longer things which create happiness, but kind of hint at the "coming attractions" in a way that has me trying to remember my mother dancing around the house, ecstatic at her first, gray hair!  Her mother had died before being able to reach that rite of passage, so for my mother, being able to live that long was a wonderful gift!  But for me?  I'm mostly neutral to "sigh".

        However, that wasn't the point of this post, so let me get back on track, here...

        Each year, people tend to start looking at the changing of the calendar as an opportunity for creating new goals and aspirations, often calling them, "New Year's resolutions".  I am NOT a huge fan of such things as I may have mentioned before.  Many times.  Mostly in posts on the PB Project Facebook Page.  I just feel that making some grand declaration of intent, while good in theory, sort of sets us up for our own defeat, as we try to jump into several, large changes, all at once.  My own experience and my witness of that of others is this: significant changes start with consistent, little moments of fulfilled intent, working step by step in small ways toward greater goals.  

        For example... when pressed for an answer to the question, "What are your New Year's resolutions?" I usually answer with this: "My main goal for the year is to survive it.  Another is to give it meaning and purpose.  Another is to find ways to enjoy what parts of it I can."  This is not actually intended as a fully-smart-mouthed answer; instead, it is the very basis of everything I do, so in reality, those are some of my most basic goals.

        I really don't think there is anything wrong with either allowing significant events to remind us of the things we want out of our lives, nor of ignoring the entire idea.  However, if there are to be changes made in our lives, we must do something which contributes to those changes, and the only way to accomplish them is to actually make and accomplish goals...changes don't just happen, if they are intentional.  

        "What do you want to accomplish, this year?" is akin to the question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?"  Without more information and desire to develop habits toward those things, they are nothing but wishes; without more dedication and willingness to persevere despite the challenges which come along - including our own minds being resistant to change, in general - they are nothing but whims.  We can be as excited about the prospects of accomplishment as we wish to be, but if we are unwilling to follow through, then we are setting ourselves up for disappointment and less desire and/or self-confidence in the future, for anything else.
        Keep in mind, my friends, I have never proclaimed that I have all the answers.  In fact, if I have any, I'm not sure I'm aware of it!  But I do know what I've learned has helped me when I actually heed it, and this topic happens to be one of those things.  So bear with me.
        As I was discussing the PB Project with a friend, I mentioned that this happens to be the most consistent and longest-running thing I've ever done.  And, in the 2-1/2 years I've been running this thing, I've only missed a handful of days (less than a week's worth) wherein I either couldn't get to the Facebook Page, or just didn't have it in me to do it, and had to basically force myself to be okay with that.  Each day, at least once a day but usually twice, I log in and check the notifications of comments and such, answer them, and then try to find things which would be of interest to the members there.  Each time I log in, it takes me an average of about an hour, and then of course at some point I work on a blog post for the week.  This past, couple of weeks, I've been rather drained due to offline health and other issues, and have just had to consciously decide to be okay with that.  I decided to try again, this week, and we'll see how it turns out!

        I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I understand how challenging it can be to make and keep a promise to myself.  There have been more than that handful of days wherein I felt like I just didn't want to try, especially this time of year when the dark, cold weather and some other things make feeling as though I contribute anything of value to be moot - in fact, sometimes I feel like I'm more of a detriment than a help.  However, it often seems that when I get to that point, if I keep going, there will be a moment when someone comments or shares something which touches my heart, brightens my view, and/or helps me feel like what I'm doing here is worthwhile.  Comments directly to the posts, here, do the same thing, for those not on Facebook.  I've considered other social media platforms, and have been working slowly on the PB Pinterest boards, but haven't explored others, much.

        These days, logging in to check and respond to comments has become a wonderful experience, as the people who follow the Project share such bright and loving energy, to me and to each other!  My heart smiles every time!  And what a precious gift to me, in that I am able to connect with people who share my goals of adding something positive to this world!  You, my friends, YOU contribute something wonderful, simply by responding in loving and constructive ways!  After all, if you weren't here, there would be no point in my being here, and I would probably give up, and anyone whose life has been touched by my continued efforts would not have that...so you actually do a great work, with clicks of a mouse and tapping of keys!  I actually focus more on the comments, which give more of an idea of what you think and feel about it, and allow me to have more of a dialogue with you, rather than a monologue, which makes a huge difference!

        So yes, this has been another one of my personal exclamations of thanks and purpose, but then again, this whole thing has been based on the idea that no one should ever have to feel alone in whatever they are experiencing, because we each and all have things in common, even the mere fact we all have things we are facing and sometimes feel disconnected!  In that, we share a commonality which can unite us in a mutual pursuit of growth and progress.  I'm grateful to have you in my life, and hope I can continue to serve with you in substantially beneficial ways, for us all.  

        And that's what I have to say about that, at the moment!

        Better days ahead, my friends!

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly


©The Phoenix and The Butterfly





No comments: