Monday, July 28, 2014

Up, Down, All Around...Get Me to the Ground!

"I went on a roller coaster once.  You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together!  Some didn't like it.  They went on the merry-go-round.  That just goes around.  Nothing.  I like the roller coaster.  You get more out of it."

~ Grandma in the film, Parenthood

Are you enjoying the roller coaster of life, are your eyes closed and knuckles white?

~ Christine Morgan, Motivational Mondays
;-)


        Uh...yeah.

        Let me first just say: I'm not big on roller coasters. 

        When I was a kid, I wasn't big on roller coasters.

        Tilt-A-Whirl?  Eh, maybe.

        Music Express?  Possibly.

        Log Flume?  Ugh...I guess, if you make me.

        But let's just say...I rode the little Puff the Magic Dragon ride a little longer than expected.
And I wasn't really doing it because I enjoyed the ride, all that much.

        This week's topic and question had me sort of doing a (rather polite and well-mannered) snort.  Not because of the nature of the question, but because of the nature of the answer.  I've thought about this way of defining the "ups and downs" of life, for much of my life.  This, therefore, is more a reminiscent kind of post, rather than a novel one.  But that is a good thing, too - it's always good to review one's perspective and reaffirm the way one thinks and feels about things - it really is the best way to mindfully judge where we are, and how we're doing, on the Path.

        I guess the term, the roller coaster of life is an adequate term for mine, much of the time.  It has rarely, really been exciting, though.  There have been some big events, and many unusual experiences, on both sides of the continuum, but really, it's been a fairly quiet life.  I have no major complaints about that, either...it has been my life to create, and if I have created it this way, then I've no one to blame but myself if I feel it has been too much of a merry-go-round.  All in all, I'd have to say that my life has definitely not been a complete waste...and I think there are too many who can't say that of theirs.  And I am in the process of learning new ways of thinking, processing and creating more in and about my life, so there is progress being made, however that comes.

        But you know...when I think about merry-go-rounds, I have to consider that they are not complete wastes, either.  Many, happy memories have been made on them, and while they may not be the most exciting method of amusement, they do provide a means of enjoying part of life in a less-extreme way.  Sometimes it is more about the richness of the experience we are having, than the thrills and chills of it all.  

        Perhaps the best way for me to answer the question then, is to simply reflect on being more mindful of the situation in which I find myself, and being more alive and present within it.  There is so much more to life than the fun we might experience from time to time!  Those exciting moments are more about stepping outside one's usual rut, and allowing oneself to feel the proverbial wind in our faces as we remember what it can be to feel more alive, once in a while.  But do we really want to be on a roller coaster, full-time, every moment of every day?  I think that level of stress would destroy the body quickly.  

        Come to think of it...I'm pretty sure that is a great deal of my levels of health problems.  It appears that autoimmunity can be triggered, or intensified, by periods of extreme stress.  So living in a constant state of turmoil and upheaval isn't good, either.  Of course living in the context of any form of mental illness, like Bipolar Disorder, adds a totally different and more intense spin, all on its own!  Yup...give me the less-extreme, and the occasional bench under a tree to rest and recover a bit!  I'm good with that!

        What do you think, my friends?  Are you a roller-coaster kind of person, or are you more for a calm and easy experience?  Do you wish for more excitement out of life, or perhaps more peace and rest?  I'd love your feedback!  Either comment below, or on the PB Facebook community page.

        Better days ahead, my friends!

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly

     

No comments: