Monday, August 4, 2014

Oh, to Be Free, to Be Free to Be Me!

        If I had begun these "Motivational Mondays" posts the very first week of the year, this week's quote and question, so generously provided by Christine Morgan in her book of that name, would have fallen right around a time when it was a particularly perfectly-timed post (ah...love alliteration)!  Oddly enough, life doesn't always run so perfectly smooth, so we do the best we can with what we have.

        Actually, that's pretty much the point of this blog...so perhaps it was a perfect example, after all. ;)

        A month ago, the United States celebrated a holiday central to its nation's history: Independence Day, more commonly (and appropriately) known as the "4th of July".  For me, this is a time for deep reflection, especially in gratitude for those scattered across the planet, whose perspectives of the world could so often be so much different than one might see in the general culture of the States.

        This post is not about calling out any of those perspectives, though, nor a request to create an international incident by poking on any political buttons.  Just had to say that, since I have nothing but love and peace to offer, here, and the idea of this post is about something different, anyway.  After all, one (hopefully obviously) doesn't have to be American to be grateful for the wonderful things that are available to enjoy, including the freedom to be who one is and to choose what one will!

        The actual topic for Week 27 is "Appreciating Freedom", and her choice of quote to help illustrate her topic is this:

"Nothing is more difficult,
and therefore more precious,
than to be able to decide."

~ Napoleon Bonaparte

        In her commentary, Christine points out that even though we hold the power to control our choices, sometimes factors within us trap us into an inability to make the most out of that power.  Her question is this:

What decisions can you make this week
that will help you feel free?

        This rather amuses me, actually.  The timing of this post, in terms of the weeks of the year, is not nearly as interesting as the timing of this post, in terms of its placement in the story of my life!  Because as you might remember from previous posts, I have recently been enrolled in a class that is focused on topics along the lines of mental/emotional health, as well as relationships to others and the environment; so far, the points covered have been directed toward the power to mindfully observe one's environment and relationship contexts, and realize the power that one has to influence and help direct oneself toward more effective and appropriate goals.  By realizing the choices we have available to us (even brainstorming into rather ... creative options), we can have a bigger and clearer picture of what we actually want, and thus can choose things that help us actually progress to whatever it is we desire.

        Another reason why I try not to audibly snicker is that being decisive is not one of my strongest traits. *averts eyes*  But I do recognize the issue, and being aware is the first step, as they say.  If I mindfully ponder the possible reasons why this might be such an issue, I can then work on trying to change my thinking patterns, and thus my behavior.  This is something I've known for years.

So...um... why is it such a challenge, after all this time?

        I think that perhaps I might make the decision to do just that - being more aware of what I'm doing (and not doing), and trying to figure out what messages my mind is trying to send to me.  There might be a greater chance of making choices that are more worthy of my time and effort, and that might have more success than the ones I've made thus far.

        Will following through with this choice make me feel more free?  Well...it might not in the present moment - why not be honest?  However, it is a step toward being more free of the ghosts running my head, for one!  Whatever experience has taught me that I shouldn't, or can't, make decisions wisely, has definitely limited my ability to make them at all; in essence, I am trapped within my own insecurities, worries and fears.  By facing whatever those are, and working on overcoming them, I am better able to set myself free and rise above my current circumstances.

        So there you are.  If you happen to need to ask yourself this question, at least you now know that you aren't the only one!  However you answer will be up to you to discover, which is rather the point of the thing, right?

        Better days ahead, my friends.

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly

©The Phoenix and The Butterfly



No comments: